eRMIA: Strategic and Project Risk Management (8, 9,15 & 16 Sept 2021 PM)
Strategic and Project Risk Management
An RMIA Virtual Course in partnership with The Protecht Group.
This workshop is aimed at understanding risks associated with strategy, projects and change with an in-depth look into tools to analyse these risks.
1. An overall framework for Managing Enterprise Risk
- Starting with business as usual and strategic objectives
- Understanding strategic objectives and the drivers of change
- Linking Enterprise Risk Management with the entity's overall vision and strategy
2. Analysing the risks in strategy and change
- A brainstorm of common problems in managing strategy, projects and change
- Decision risks covering upfrom decisions and ongoing decisions
- Execution risk covering the risks that can impact time, cost and quality
- Delivered risk covering the impact of change on business as usual risks. This also covers benefit risk.
3. Decision Risk
- Analysing the drivers of sub optimal decisions using Bow Tie analysis
- Differentiating upfront decision risk and ongoing decision risk
- Analysing scope and choice risk
- Identifying the drivers of ongoing decision risk
- Factoring in environment al drivers (e.g. competitor behavior, customer behavior, technology disrupton, regulatory change etc.)
- Identifying and differentiating threat and opportunity risk
- A model for minimizing decision threat risks
- Decision tools to make optimal risk/reward decisions
- Key controls to manage decision risks
- A model for capitalising on decision opportunity risks
- A framework for opportunity risk management
4. Execution Risk
- Identifying project execution objectives of time, cost and quality
- Understanding the drivers of execution risk using Bow Tie analysis
- Managing waterfall project execution risks
- Managing agile project execution risks
5. Delivered Risk
- Identifying the business as usual risks that will be materially impacted by the change
- Carrying out a future state risk assessment and responding to that assessment
- Keeping the delivered risk assessment current and factoring in change requests
- Benefits realization risk
- The importance of the post implementation review
- Factoring learnings back into the risk management process
6. What is practically required to manage change risk?
- Conducting a strategic risk assessment
- Running a strategic risk register
- Running a project execution risk register
- Using technology to support the process
7. Governance structures
- Overall governance structure for strategic, project and change
- The three lines of defence and its application to change risk
- Roles, ownership, responsibilities and accountabilities
- Ensuring and aligned incentive scheme
- Driving the right culture to support effective and efficient change risk management
8. Key Takeaways
- An in-depth understanding of the full range of risks associated with strategy, projects and change covering Decision, Execution and Delivered Risks
- The ability to analyse these risks in detail using Risk Bow Tie analysis
- An understanding of the various techniques and tools that can be used to manage each risk
- An in-depth look at decision making tools. From qualitative, through semi quantitative to fully quantitative tools.
- A working knowledge of how to apply enterprise risk management tools to strategic, project and change risk, including risk assessments, key risk indicators, incident management, issues and actions, controls assurance
- An appreciation of best practice risk reporting for strategic, project and change risk
- An appreciation of the governance structures around managing each change risk inlcuding risk and control ownership, responsibility, accountability
- An overview of the people and culture aspects of managing change including aligned incentive schemes and the key aspects of a strong change culture
- An understanding of how to overcome the common hurdles to making good "change management" work
Format of the Course
This course is delivered in an entirely online COVID-Safe format. This event is offered as 4 x 90 minute live sessions (total 6 hrs) over 4 days via GoToTraining online.
About Your Trainer: David Tattam from The Protecht Group
Author of 'A Short Guide to Operational Risk', David Tattam is an internationally recognised specialist in all facets of risk management, particularly at the enterprise level. David is the founder and current Director Research and Training for the Protecht Group, an Australian firm specialising in risk management software, consulting, advisory and training to a wide range of clients both locally and overseas. His career includes many years working with PwC, as well as two international banks. His achievements include the creation of the Middle Office (Risk Management Department) for The Industrial Bank of Japan in Australia and the complete implementation of all Australian operations, systems, procedures and controls for Westdeutsche Landesbank (WestLB). David’s passion is risk training, having developed numerous risk courses and trained many thousands over the past 2 decades. Protecht celebrated its 21st year in 2020.
DATES & TIMES - THE SESSIONS:
Session 1 12:30pm - 2:00pm AEST on Wednesday, 8 September 2021
Session 2 12:30pm - 2:00pm AEST on Thursday, 9 September 2021
Session 3 12:30pm - 2:00pm AEST on Wednesday, 15 September 2021
Session 4 12:30pm - 2:00pm AEST on Thursday, 16 September 2021
AEST = UTC +10:00
LOCATION: GoToTraining for all 4 Sessions
INVESTMENT: $660.00 incl.GST for Members
$792.00 incl. GST for Non-Members
CPD: 12 points
When you register for this course you agree to the RMIA passing your registration details onto our Training Partner, The Protecht Group.
For Group Bookings please email email@example.com or call 0431 740 575.
The time on your ticket when issued is the RMIA server timezone and may differ to the time of the event in your timezone. Please check this registration page for correct TIMEZONE and ACTUAL SESSION TIMES.
Registration for each session will close 24 hours prior to the event when final Zoom invitation details will be sent, we cannot guarantee receipt of the Zoom invitation details after this time.