Managing Critical Controls - From 'Ticking the Box' to Effective Risk Management - October
Managing Critical Controls
Welcome to the Understanding & Managing Critical Controls - Shifting Your Organisation from Just Ticking the Box' to the Management of Risk delivered by the RMIA in Training Partnership with Noetic Group.
Are you tired of risk management that doesn’t add value?
Risk management is critical to effectively managing your organisation but takes time and commitment to get it right.
We’ve all seen risk management practices that create a significant amount of documentation that doesn’t help decision-making. A lengthy and complex risk register can even give the false impression that risks are being managed effectively, when that is not always the case.
Are you worried that you don’t know the true effectiveness of your organisation’s controls?
There can be a tendency for optimism bias when trying to assess the level of risk and the effectiveness of controls. It can be tempting to believe that a control is effective, despite having no evidence. Even as we have been dealing with COVID-19, we are still seeing examples of a ‘it won’t happen to me’ mentality.
Do you want to move away from lengthy risk plans and excel spreadsheets?
You’re encouraged to come along to our course on the critical controls approach, which is fully aligned with the international ISO 31000 risk standard.
This approach focuses on those risk controls considered critical to preventing unwanted risk events and mitigating their consequences if they do occur. These controls must be effective for the risk to be managed well and there must be evidence of their effectiveness.
A traditional risk assessment might list 20 controls for a risk, but a closer inspection might show that 18 of those controls do very little to detect and prevent a risk event or mitigate its consequences.
Join us to explore an approach that helps ensure your leaders have the right risk information they need to make good decisions.
What the course will cover:
- Challenges with risk management
- What is the critical control approach
- Benefits of focusing on critical controls
- Tools and techniques
- How this can be applied to different types of risks
- Scenario discussion and case studies
- Engaging with senior leaders on improving organisational decision making
- Understand the critical control approach and how to apply it
- Understand how to effectively use key tools, such as a risk bowtie
- Understand how to apply the critical control approach to different types of risk
- Learn techniques for engaging with senior leaders on improving risk management
Who should attend this course
- Enterprise risk team
- Specialist risk areas
- Other middle managers
- Everyone interested in managing risks more simply and effectively
Benefits of attending this course
- It will help you describe risks better to your senior executive to focus their attention on where it really matters
- It’ll reduce the number of unnecessary and unused risk documents and artefacts
- It will help you save time in the long term as you’ll be able to focus your effort not on filling out risk registers, but on strengthening controls and putting new ones in place.
- It will help you be more successful by focussing your effort on ensuring that the critical risk controls are effective
Format of the Course
- Pre-course: You will be sent some pre-course learning materials including some factsheets. This will help ensure all participants have an understanding of common control challenges. You will also be asked to fill out a short questionnaire about yourself, which will be shared with other participants. This will assist with networking in a virtual environment.
- During the course: This course will be held virtually via Zoom through two half-days. This will include use of the breakout room functions to simulate table group discussions.
- After the course: You will be provided with some additional demonstration templates to assist you in applying the critical control approach.
As this course is delivered virtually, there are two half day sessions.
About Noetic Group
Noetic is a professional services consulting firm with a head office in Canberra, and offices in Sydney and Washington DC. Noetic has provided risk management services to multiple clients over the years, including in federal and state government agencies in Australia as well as for oil, gas and mining sectors globally. For more information, visit their website or contact via email on email@example.com.
This risk course will be facilitated by two risk practitioners from Noetic Group, Peter Murphy (Co-founder and Head of Consulting) and Matthew Tuohy (Director). To find out more about the course facilitators click here.
DATE & TIME:
SESSION 1 (3.5 hours)
2:00 pm - 5:30 pm AEDT on Tuesday, 18 October 2022
SESSION 2 (3.5 hours)
2:00 pm - 5:30 pm AEDT on Tuesday, 25 October 2022
LOCATION: Online via Zoom
This course is being delivered online. Attendees will receive a zoom invitation to participate in the course online. There will be interactive elements in the online course to allow participants to engage with one another and share their experiences. If you have any queries relating to the online facilitation of the course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
INVESTMENT: RMIA Members $1,287.00 incl.GST
Non-Members: $1,430.00 incl.GST
CPD Points: 10
When you register for this course you agree to the RMIA passing your registration details onto our Training Partner, Noetic Group.
Group Bookings: For Group Bookings, please contact us via email on email@example.com or by phone on 02 9095 2500.
The time on your ticket when issued is the RMIA server timezone and may differ to the time of the event in your timezone. Please check this registration page for correct TIMEZONE and ACTUAL SESSION TIMES.
Registration for each session will close 2 business days prior to the event. We cannot guarantee course registrations or tickets after this time.